Thursday 13 September 2018

Food For Free - What Does This Pocket Book And Nature Have To Offer ?

Everybody likes something for free and who doesn't like food for free ? With this tiny little pocket guide by Richard Mabey, you will never go hungry... Well not when you're out in the countryside anyway. For less than a fiver you can learn all about what nature has to offer, when to pick and how best to eat the abundance of wild edibles.
I was first introduced to this amazing little book about five or six years ago, when I joined a fellow bushcrafter on a nature walk. I knew very little about wild edibles back then, other than blackberries and bilberries. However, after an hours walk I had been introduced to Wood Sorrel, Common Sorrel and Nettles. Not really enough to fill a hungry stomach, but it was enough to encourage me to learn more.
Before going our seperate ways, I was advised to purchase a copy of Food For Free, which is exactly what I did. After receiving the book, I was amazed to discover how many plants were listed, that I actually knew. But had no idea whatsover, that they could be eaten.
And so, off I went into my local woodland to see what I could find, using the book as a reference when identifying the different species of plant. I shot a video back in 2012 titled "Bushcraft - Searching For Wild Edibles - Foraging", which looking back is a little sketchy (video quality wise I might add... ha ha !!), but it gives you an insight into what I discoverd that day.
It goes without saying, that if you are ever looking for wild edibles and decide to taste anything, make sure you are 100% certain of what you are about to eat.
As I mention in the video, start with 3-4 plants that are easily recognisable, get to know them, learn all about them and when to spot them. And when you are happy you have successfully identified the plant, try just a tiny piece and see how it goes down. Once you are preficient in identifying them, move onto other species, slowly building up your menu... I mean knowledge !
If I had to suggest 5 species of plant to start with, I would suggest the following : (Of course, this list is based on what I have found in the UK)

  • Dandelion
  • Nettle
  • Jack By The Hedge
  • Wood Sorrel
  • Blackberry
  • In my most recent video, I revisit the Food For Free book once again, to highlight a couple more plant species. One of which, leaves a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment