Wednesday 5 September 2018

Simple DIY Kayak Paddle Modification - Two For The Price Of One

A number of years ago, I purchased a Stearns Back Country inflatable kayak, which came with a four piece split paddle. This allowed you to disassemble the paddle into smaller sections, for ease of transportation.

When paddling solo, I tend to use the paddle as a one piece. But if I had one of the Mini-Jesters with me, or they were both using the kayak, I needed a simple DIY kayak paddle modification that was a quick and easy method to reconfigure the paddle.

I experimented with a few different designs, which were ok, but did require the use of a screwdriver to secure the moulded handle grips to the paddle sections. This very much restricted how quick we could change from a single to a double paddle. So, back to the drawing board I went. It was only when I spotted some nifty little locking pins on my Dad's lightweight scaffolding tower that a new design came into my head.

These stainless steel shaft locking pins allowed me to create a quick release mechanism for the moulded handle grips, resulting in a paddle reconfiguration in a matter of seconds. The positioning of the pins through the grips and shaft of the paddle, meant your hands didn't catch the locking pins at all when holding the paddle grip.

With the addition of an old vacuum cleaner tube, I created a seperate section to incorporate the second paddle grip and blade. This additional section was required due to the current design of the 4 piece paddle not having a sufficient end to accept the paddle grip handle. I also added a small piece of bicycle inner tube, just to reduce any slight movement between the two sections, due to minor size differences.

Parts List :

  • 4 Piece Paddle
  • Moulded Paddle Grips
  • Shaft Locking Pins
  • Old Vacuum Cleaner Tube
  • Old Bicycle Inner Tube
  • With just a little time and effort, which I quite enjoyed, I now have a versatile paddle that can be used to satisfy any situation. The trouble then begins when a third member of the kayak is introduced... Anyway, this will do for now. Please let me know your feedback on this design in the comments below.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment